Speed cameras are effective for capturing images of drivers, but recent identification mishaps prove that the technology isn’t infallible. (ell brown, Flickr)

by: Frank Filipponio, AOL Autos

Getting a speeding ticket is never fun. It's even worse when you get a speeding ticket while your car is parked. For one UK motorist, that's exactly what happened, not once, but twice. On two separate occasions, he has been sent a speeding ticket when he knew his car was stationary.

It seems Jeff Buck has to park his car on the street outside his home in Nottingham. With no driveway or garage available, parking it on the shoulder along Watnall Road is the best he can do.

Speed Camera Poll
    Do speed cameras make the roads safer?

The problem stems from the fact that somebody else happened to speed past the camera perched above his parked car. Police officers who processed the photos and issued the fines somehow missed the fact that his vehicle was stationary.

Police have now issued an apology to Buck after he successfully fought the tickets. It probably wasn't too hard to prove that his parked car wasn't the one triggering the speed cameras. We're guessing police will now be looking a little more closely at the other vehicles in the pictures to see who actually broke the 30 mile per hour speed limit along that road.

Although relieved to have the fines dismissed, Buck is understandably still a bit perturbed:

“I assumed the first time it happened that the police would put something in place to prevent it from happening again. I'm concerned now that every time someone triggers the camera I'll get these notices. I am amused by it, but also angry that I have to go to the trouble of contacting the police.”

A spokeswoman for the Nottinghamshire Police said that staff members would be getting a little extra training in verifying the speed camera images properly.

Read More about Speeding Tickets on AOL Autos:

- Get Your Speeding Ticket Paid For You
    - Vehicles Most Likely To Get You A Speeding Ticket
    - 10 Ways to Avoid a Cop Giving You a Speeding Ticket

holmes49 Nov 25, 2010 11:03 AM
    can anyone tell me why i received two parking tickets for two of my cars from beverly hills,ca both cars have non-ops from california the cars have been out of state for the last three years what seems to be beverly hills problem.
    DevAutos Jun 01, 2010 1:37 PM
    mn8 left a comment that "The U.S. Constitution was founded in a Christian society that largely believed in God, followed the bible, ...." If that is acceptible then I have the right to refute that claim. mn8, please cite a single provision in our constitution that is biblical. You will look long and hard to try to find even one because there are none. Leave religious claims out of every discussion
    dallasdalpat Jun 01, 2010 10:22 AM
    GESTAPO !!!
    viveirossom May 24, 2010 12:04 AM
    One THing coming from all this is police are not needed.It is cheaper to hire a computer than people.People need vacations,get sick, need health insurance. These computers are taking away jobs and what do management or government care these people have steady positions with pensions.
    tact456 May 04, 2010 12:05 PM
    Interesting article. A good resource on traffic tickets in NY is: http://rosenblumlawfirm.com/practice/what-to-do-when-you-get-a-traffic-ticket-in-new-york-state/
    tomlongjr Feb 16, 2010 10:18 AM
    Maryland has cameras to catch people running red lights. Here is the catch. If you pay the $75 dollars and do not protest the charge, nothing mo0re happens. The state keeps your money and they are happy. If you protest the ticket and loose, you get the fine, court cost and the 3 points on your license. 12 points and you loose your license. Nobody can afford to get too many of these and fight them. But then if a policeman pulls you for running a red light you still get the fine, court cost and the 3 points on your license. Since these cameras can do 10 THOUSAND tickets a month, the state give you an incentive not to fight the ticket. I said everybody should fight every tickets. The courts would be tied up for years after only one month. Then those who go to court after 180 days can have the ticket dismissed for lack of a speedy trial. The judges would put a halt to it quickly.
    fastschumi Jan 27, 2010 8:25 AM
    To respond to your comment fire350669 if your picked out of a group its because you were caught by a laser which means all the officer had to do was put the red dot on the front of your car, lasers are very accurate. Maybe bad luck ******** your car today that got caught but hey dont speed. Morganr57 everyday people are the people that kill others and/or themself because they are speeding so your comment doesnt make any sense when facts dont lie. Yes I agree it stinks that a hard working person who actually provides to society gets a ticket and pays fines when these dirtbags arent getting locked up. But I can tell you these dirtbags are getting arrested every single day. Its the system that is failing us. I am in law enforcement I see it everyday. People I arrest for horrible crimes I see back out on the street weeks later its a shame.
    antgne Jan 27, 2010 6:10 AM
    First of all, ********** obeys the law on the roads? That's right, next to no one. And this has been going on for so long that people think it's ok to speed. They figure I'll get a pass for up to 10 mph faster than the speed limit and it seems they do get a pass. This teaches driers it's ok to make their own rules; right? And it's not just driving that this applies to. Do I personally want cameras enforcing the LAW, of course not. But it will work and slow people down. It will also find, on occasion, someone who isn't guilty and yes, they'll have to take that day off from work and/or hire an attorney, but hey, that's life. Life isn't fair.
    fire350669 Jan 27, 2010 6:05 AM
    whats the difference when a cop uses is radar gun and catches the wrong one. For that matter what to say the cop just picked you out of a crowd of cars and no one was speeding.
    morganr57 Jan 27, 2010 6:00 AM
    Just another way to fleece people - to attach and suck their earnings in a slimy way! Cameras for security are okay - to steal from everyday people is wrong!
    markannzac Jan 27, 2010 5:41 AM
    In the States, you have no idea what speed cameras mean. I live in a fairly quiet part of the UK and I have 6 cameras within 3 miles of where I live. If I get caught by them 4 times in a 3 year period I get to lose my licence (and my job) and after that my vehicle insurance will triple. Oh and we are now paying $7.20 for a gallon of petrol (gas) over here.
    gcort49 Jan 27, 2010 5:34 AM
    I was 'snapped' @ one and the resulting ticket was $70.00 The photo sent to me was clearly wrong. Everyone I showed it to agreeded. Purely entrapment. The intersection is a very busy one, this was @ 630AM a weekday. Traffic bulks up on all corners. I was going to fight it, but it meant taking a day off from work, sitting in traffic court all day, maybe hiring a lawyer who specializes in this to help argue for me..it was easier to pay. And this is what these gov't queens are betting on. There is now a movement in my state to out-law these cameras. Evidently, I am not alone
    labuyu Jan 27, 2010 4:45 AM
    Speed and traffic cameras are not put in place for public safety, they are put in place to raise money. There have been many cases where officials have intentionally shortened the time span of the yellow light and as a result more than doubled the number of tickets for running the red light. Can you say entrapment?
    mb79kc Jan 27, 2010 4:17 AM
    I was with the understanding that a private company was outsourced to install and issue the infractions/violations in my neighborhood to free up an overburdened officers time? So the tickets are overpriced to pay for the equipment and administration fee and of course lets not forget the cut that goes to the city they set in. I personally do not speed or run red lights but my sromach jumps a notch everytime a light turns yellow in the intersection. Why dont we use the extra money to hire extra officers to protect and serve our community? Where does the money go? Darn I guess I need to go to another council meeting and find out and/or the information should be public record.
    gr8bsn Jan 27, 2010 3:26 AM
    The people who defend $peed cameras are the same sheep who will be first in line to have a government-tracking microchip implanted up their a$$. "But I'm not doing anything wrong, what do I have to hide?&*********** always the innocent who suffer first.
    slmjm59ss Jan 27, 2010 2:48 AM
    Go to >Highway robbery.com< this artical will speak for it self.
    thetruckerking Jan 27, 2010 2:42 AM
    When enough of these high dollar cams end up with .44 mag hollow points in them the local municipalities that pay for them will soon find out that they are not worth it. At least a few traffic cops get laid off because of these cams. I guess that's one redeeming value.
    dadyran001 Jan 27, 2010 2:34 AM
    C-Mon PEOPLE.... Everyone is making such a fuss over these new cameras that will be everywhere we want to be! Yes, they will be coming to a neighborhood near you! I don't understand why everyone is so up-in-arms about them though? You asked for them! How else did you all think Obama was going to create jobs? .... LMAO... Let's see... we need trainers... RE-Trainers.... installers... additional peace officers to eat donuts, since they won't have to catch us in "that rolling stop"...and then more RE-Trainers to teach the re-trainers to teach the rookie who knows nothing! Hell that's at minimum 5 new jobs per municipality... OMG how many municipalities are there? Folks... Dats sum J O B S !
    cs00000028354682 Jan 27, 2010 2:14 AM
    yeah if those ever show up in my city im just going to take a spray can to em :/
    dadyran001 Jan 27, 2010 2:12 AM
    Now dat's some funna shid rite tare now! I tod 'em to just relax and smell those genetically altered roses!... dstoltzy Jan 27, 2010 1:24 AM dielandevelopers-- you are so stupid i cannot believe that you are still walking around.make sure you keep your tin foil hat on so that they don't know what you are thinking. Don Rumsfeld came up with aspartame, yeah that makes total sense!! someone needs to put something in your water, and unplug your computer. The kind of paranoia that you are spewing, is the only thing worse than racism. Just reply to this with the name of the hospital you escaped from and the location where you are right now and we will see that you get the help you DESPERATELY need. Keep your stupid. uneducated, paranoid fantasies in your own head. No one cares about what is happening in your world, the rest of us live in the real world not some fantasy movie.Report This