Corvette ZR1

Mercury and Jaguar led J.D. Power's 2009 Customer Satisfaction Study (Ford, Jaguar).

by: Reilly Brennan, AOL Autos

In a world of mind-numbingly similar consumer products, the companies that get the edge tend to be those that focus on customer satisfaction. The car business is no different, but automakers tend to fall victim to their business structure: whereas a company like Apple can sell you an iPod at one of their own stores, car companies can only sell their products through franchised dealerships, where sometimes the sales process falls apart.

Luxury Brand Rankings Sales Satisfaction Index Ranking

MINI 862
    Saturn 858
    HUMMER 856
    GMC 853
    Ford 847
    Mass Market Segment Average 832

Source: J.D. Power 2009 Customer Satisfaction Survey. (Based on a 1,000-point scale)

J.D. Power released their 2009 customer satisfaction survey this morning and it appears that car companies are on the upswing overall, with the most satisfied owners having purchased cars from Jaguar and Mercury. Overall satisfaction for 2009 now averages 836 points on a 1,000-point scale in 2009, up by 11 points from 2008.

The survey rates overall customer satisfaction as measured for five factors: dealership facility; salesperson; paperwork/finance process; delivery process; and vehicle price.

J.D. Power said the two parts of customer satisfaction that improved the most were the salesperson and the delivery process. But, of course, in this economic climate, not all salespersons were rated the highest.

"In this difficult economy, dealerships are working particularly hard to close sales, but need to be attentive to customers without exerting unwanted sales pressure," said Jon Osborn, director of automotive research at J.D. Power and Associates. "Nearly one in four buyers in 2009 reports experiencing sales pressure from their selling dealer."

One in five shoppers who leave a dealership without purchasing a vehicle do so because they "experienced poor treatment or dealer performance issues such as pricing games, sales pressure tactics or discourteous treatment." It's difficult to imagine how this type of behavior is tolerated in 2009 (or any year), but that's the reality of buying a car.

The full rankings, segmented by luxury and mass market brands, are below. Note that Mini was the brand that made the biggest jump in 2009, leaping 16 positions in a single year.

- Best Car Deals of the Month
    - Insider Tips for Buying a Used Car
    - Research New Cars

allianceae Apr 07, 2010 11:25 AM
    Wow ... six out of the top ten mass brands are GM products. Not too shabby, huh? But, what is most notable is there is but a few points separating all in the top ten.
    rabos4672 Apr 06, 2010 8:54 PM
    have owned chevrolets for over 30 yrs..most of them monte carlos, never had a complaint or major problem with any of them..also have had a pontiac grand prix, which I traded in for a Monte carlo and 7 yrs and 96,000 miles later, i still own. Last year I ordered a 2009 Challenger RT because I found nothing on the market that didnt seem like a cookie cutter 4 door sedan. The point being, I have had no reason NOT to buy American cars for 30 yrs and will continue to support the US automakers. In America it is about personal preference and freedom of choice...I really dont give rats a** what consumer reports jd power or any of the other annoying polls say. I buy what I like!!!
    rollmaven Apr 06, 2010 12:39 AM
    I OWN A INFINITY G37 CONVERTABLE COUPE . IT IS THE NOISIEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED THE BLUE TOOTH IS TOTALLY USELESS, THE BODY SHAKE IS ANNOYING TO SAY THE LEAST !!! IF I HAD IT TO DO ALL OVER I WOULDNT HAVE BOUGHT IT !!!! THE LEXUS IS350 IS FAR SUPERIOR IN COMFORT EASE OF OPERATION & QUALITY FOR THE SMALL DIFFERENCE IN MONTHLY PAYMENTS.
    mcrist1602 Apr 05, 2010 9:53 PM
    I Would say J.D. Power costomer satisfaction survey NEEDS SOME WORK. I have a 2009 Toyota and I fine it a reliable car.
    dave219155 Apr 05, 2010 9:19 PM
    I've owned Chevy, Buick, Oldsmobile, and Ford, and Saturn..My Wife loves her Honda and it has been trouble free...."I" love my BMW ...To be completely honest if Ford and Chevy put near as much effort into trying to keep current customers as they do attracting new ones we wouldn't be jumping into Hondas and BMWs. Nothing worse than having something major break one week after the warranty expires and then being raped by the service department....... I'd never buy another Ford or GM Product and if I won one I'd sell it and buy something else........By the way Subaru makes a great car too
    mariajoe312 Apr 03, 2010 2:38 PM
    I had Toyota's for most of my life and would not get another name. I've had almost no problems and drove them 200,000 miles. I recently in 2008 purchased a 2009 and my husband 2010 Camry. We would have it no other way. As far as a problem nothing or no one is perfect so S.T.F. up and find something else to rag about.
    eschaeferinc Apr 03, 2010 11:40 AM
    Buy USA and we will all get better!
    compactdiskjocky Apr 02, 2010 3:29 AM
    I AGREE WITH admiralduke007. IF OUT GOVERNMENT DOESN'T HAVE THE SENSE TO STOP LETTING THESE BIG COMPANIES TAKE JOBS OUT OF OUR COUNTRY, THEN THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS TRY TO HOLD ON TO WHAT FEW GOOD JOBS LEFT WE HAVE BUY TRING TO BUY AMERICAN! THOSE COMPANIES THAT BUILD EVERYTHING OUT OF THIS COUNTRY ONLY DO IT FOR MORE PROFIT AS YOU DON'T SEE THEM PASSING THE SAVING ON TO US! P.S AS YOU CAN SEE THE JAPANESE SUPPORT THEIR OWN! HOW MANY JAPANESE PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY DO YOU SEE BUYING OR DRIVING AMERICAN CARS????
    rslone4056 Mar 31, 2010 1:51 PM
    love my 2009 nissan murano le awd
    admiralduke007 Mar 28, 2010 3:40 PM
    Advise: Stick with Fords
    admiralduke007 Mar 28, 2010 3:37 PM
    egdmrn1 go move to Japan if you loved it so much, i hope you brought burial insurance for your beloved Toyota. When you crash into something, i'll stop to laugh and drive away. Stop sending our dollars over there your Rav4 will crash like one from New York City, oh well
    egdmrn1 Mar 28, 2010 2:38 PM
    I DRIVE A 2009 RAV 4 AND LOVE IT!! I HAVE HAD MORE PROBLEMS WITH AMERICAN MADE CARS AND I REFUSE TO WASTE MY MONEY ON THEM ANY MORE!! THE UAW HAS DESTROYED THE AMERICAN AUTO MARKET.........MY TOYOTA, AND MY WIFES 2010 PRIUS ARE UNION FREE CARS AND THATS THE WAY WE LIKE IT...............BOO TO AMERICAN MADE CARS!!!! JAPENESE AUTO MAKERS WILL ALWAYS BE TECHNOLOGICALLY AHEAD OF THE AMERICAN MARKET BY FIVE YEARS OR MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    fly947 Mar 26, 2010 12:33 AM
    PS...PRIOR TO LEASING THE MARINER I OWNED AN ACURA LEGEND COUPE SO IM NOT NEW TO VEHICLES...INCLUDING THOSE WITH THE SO CALLED BADGES.....GIVE THE AMERICAN AUTO INDUSTRY A SHOT AND LETS KEEP OUR MONEY HERE AND OUR WORKERS WORKING
    fly947 Mar 26, 2010 12:20 AM
    2008 MERCURY MARINER PRIMER LEASED DEC 2007....THE LEASE IS UP DEC 2010...SORRY TO SAY....I REALLY LOVE THIS VEHICLE..HAS EVERYTHING I WANT AND NEED....WHEN THE LEASE IS UP I WILL LEASE THE SAME EXACT VEHICLE IN DEC 2010...MODEL YEAR WILL BE 2011...ONLY CONCERN THE MODEL CHANGE WILL BE 2012...ALSO THE DEALER IS FANTISTIC.... THIS WAS THE FIRST AMERICAN MADE VEHICLE I HAVE HAD SINCE MY 1968 OLDS CUTLASS COUPE ....AMERICAN CARS ARE BACK AND I HOPE THE DEALERS HAVE LEARNED FROM LOOSING THE MARKET TO THE IMPORTS
    mrpushrod1 Mar 22, 2010 9:55 AM
    ************** nuckleheads @ Consumer Reports are only satisfied with Toyotas. The followers @ Consumer Reports continued to recommended Toyota's even days after Toyota stopped selling them (during the recall). They made light of the sticking gas pedal. I am surprised they didn't just recommend people use their left foot to unjam it. They still rate the Corolla "Very Good" even though owners are scared to drive them because of the documented cruise ship handling (light & vague steering according to Consumer Reports).
    lemaza49 Mar 21, 2010 4:54 PM
    I don't belive this. What this is showing is just to promote the sales and the rest is a lie
    lemaza49 Mar 21, 2010 4:53 PM
    Eso no se lo creo. Lo que se esta haciendo aqui es promover las ventas de carros expensivos. Pero no me trago eso sobre los carros que dejan a los duenos mas satisfechos.
    pprchsr Jan 08, 2010 5:23 PM
    I don't care what anyone says, I like my '91 Buick La Sabre with over 218,000 miles on it. No major repairs and I get 45-49 on the gas when I drive to Vegas. Buick must be good besides mine; you hardly ever see them for sale as used cars.
    racinghcr Jan 07, 2010 9:47 PM
    American Owned FORD MOTOR COMPANY is engineering and producing award-winning World Class vehicles that are the BEST in Safety,Performance,Styling,Fuel Economy,Quality,Convenience,Reliability,and perhaps MOST Important CUSTOMER SATISFACTION and Desirability. The Results--People are buying record numbers ot these great new Ford Motor Company cars and trucks. Kudos Ford Motor Company for engineering these awesome vehicles that everyone wants,and WITHOUT TAKING HARD EARNED MONEY OUT OF AMERICAN'S in the Government BAILOUTS!! America's BEST AUTO MAKER achieved this with an Independent Spirit and COURAGE ,and Now the American People are rewarding this awesome achievement by purchasing record numbers of the FORD FAMILY OF FINE CARS!!! DRIVE ONE!!!
    hiccup542 Jan 06, 2010 2:08 PM
    I've always been satisfied with Chevy but N O T the 2005 Impala I bought engine head gaskets, cooling problems, now a transmission that sucks and only 80,000 miles never again Ford welcome back