People who get speeding tickets are often guilty of more than simply driving faster than the posted limit. Their chief offense? It's getting noticed in the first place. That's the first domino to fall in the ugly chain of events that leads to a piece of "payin' paper."

Here are some common sense ways to run under a cop's radar -- literally:

· Drive within 5-10 mph of surrounding traffic. Cops are usually looking for drivers who are going noticeably faster than the other cars on the road. If you're within a pack of cars all going 5 to 10 mph over the limit, you've automatically improved your odds of not being the one that gets pulled over for a speeding ticket, even though you're all technically speeding. The cop has to pick one car; if you go with the flow of traffic, it probably won't be you. And it definitely won't be you if you don't speed in the first place.

· Try to stay in the middle of the pack. If you're the lead car, logic says you'll be the first car to run past any cop's radar trap up ahead and get a speeding ticket. And if you're the last car, you'll be the one the police officer rolls up behind. That means the safest place is in the middle -- just like a gazelle fleeing a hungry lion by seeking safety in the middle of the herd.

· Find a "rabbit." If you can't find a pack of cars going the speed you'd like to maintain, the next best thing is to find yourself a rabbit -- a solitary driver traveling the speed you'd like to drive that you can follow discretely, about 50-100 yards back. If there's a cop using radar, hopefully the rabbit will trip the trap and get a speeding ticket, not you. And if he brakes suddenly, you have just received your early warning in time to take defensive action.

· Do not change lanes frequently, tailgate or otherwise drive aggressively. In addition to being rude and dangerous, you're just asking for a trucker or someone with a cell phone to call the cops and give them a description of your vehicle and license plate number. Always use your signals and be courteous to fellow drivers. It's safer, and it will help you fade into the background.

· Avoid the fast lane. Use the far left lane to pass when necessary, but try to stay in the middle lanes when possible. Reason? If a cop is lurking in a cutout along the median strip (or coming at you from the opposite direction on a divided highway) the speeder in the far left lane is the one most likely to become the target. Drivers who get nailed with speeding tickets are often the type who rack it up to 10 or 15 over the limit and remain in the far left lane.

· Watch for cutouts and modulate your speed accordingly. On many highways, there are cutouts in the median strip every couple of miles. Usually, you can see these in plenty of time to slow down a little bit in case there's a cop lurking behind the bushes ready to give you a speeding ticket.

· Don't speed when you are the only car on the road. If you ignore this warning it's the equivalent of plastering a "ticket me!" bumper sticker on your vehicle. Even if you're only doing five mph over the posted limit, if there's a cop using radar, he's got nothing to look at but you. Lonesome speeding is even more dangerous in small towns, where radar traps and aggressive enforcement by cops can be common. And never speed late at night. Drunk-driving patrols are heavy and cops are more inclined to pull you over for any offense in order to check you for signs of alcohol. Don't give them a reason.

· If it's OK legally, get a radar detector. Yes, they're expensive (good ones, anyhow). But a one-time hit of, say, $300 for a decent radar detector is cheaper than even a single big speeding ticket and the higher insurance costs that will come with it. Radar detectors are legal in most states and well worth the investment to avoid a speeding ticket.

And Finally:

· If possible, drive a nondescript vehicle. It may not be fair, but it's human nature to notice things that stand out from the crowd. Bright-colored cars, those with loud exhaust or other pimped-out enhancements are the cars more likely to draw a cop's initial attention than ordinary-looking, family-type cars. Since the cop has to single out one car, which car do you suppose is the likely candidate for a speeding ticket? The bright yellow Mustang GT with 20-inch chrome rims? Or the silver Taurus?

If you do get pulled over while driving a fancy, high-profile car, your odds of getting a speeding ticket versus a warning have probably gone up. If you're driving a fast-looking hot rod, the cop is going to assume you use it and deserve a ticket more than the guy in a family-looking ride whose plea that he "didn't realize he was speeding, officer" comes off as more believable.

> In Pictures: Cars Least Likely to Get You a Speeding Ticket

· Be aware that appearances count. That is, your appearance. If your appearance says, "Responsible member of the community," you're apt to get a more friendly response than if you look and act like trouble.

The worst possible thing you can do is combine all the no-no's listed above by driving a flashy car too fast, late at night when you're the only car on the road while looking like you just robbed a bank.

If you do that, expect a speeding ticket. And expect no mercy.

felixamat Dec 04, 2010 8:02 PM
    Many, many years ago, America had many, many signs stating a simple fact: SPEED KILLS Nothing's changed.
    felixamat Dec 04, 2010 7:58 PM
    The easiest way. Don't speed, stupid.
    mypapajim Dec 04, 2010 4:30 PM
    Now,allow me to tell you what happened in Nebraska when the speed limit was 55 MPH (Nixon days). On I -80 my CB told me that there was an Eye in the Sky, Bear in the Air at least 50 miles before getting there. I drove 55 MPH exactly for all those miles, always looking for the Bear. Another car followed me for many, many miles, but like a dummy when we got close to the Bear, he pulled out and slowly caught up to me. I pointed in the air and he dropped back. As I approached the State troopers on the ground, one stepped out and motioned to pull over, but it wasn't clear who he was motioning, so I kept going. But the car behind me pulled over. He could not have been going 5 MPH over, even when pulling along side of me. Then yearz later, going east through Omaha NE, at 55 MPH a K-9 police unit sitting on the left shoulder, pulled in and the lights came on. I had to pass thru anout 5 or 6 lanes to get off the road safely. If you call crossing 5 lanes safe? The police office walked up and said I was driving 57 or 58 MPH in a 55 zone, BUT he was not giving me a ticket. I replied godd because I waqs going exactly 55 MPH. he said Cruise Control will allow a car to advance on a slight grade... No I was not on Cruise Control. He returned my things and along I went. But that officer could have got my family killed while trying to cross all those lanes. What he was doing is Profiling me, I was in a Van with slightly darkened windows, pulling a trailer. Once he saw inside he knew I wasn't a drug dealer or transporting illegals. Cops do whatever they please and say whatever they want... I was doing 55MPH, not a mile over.
    mypapajim Dec 04, 2010 4:14 PM
    to Zupamum...You are right, officers violate the law also. In Ft Collins Co an off duty city police officer was pulled over by the sheriff's deputy for DUI. The Dui officer told the deputy that officers always let other officers off. The supervisor said arrest the DUI officer. The DUI officer was telling what normally happens, just told the wrong deputy. BUT the FCPD Internal Affairs Department took 4 months to investigate the DUI officer, then the officer resigned before any corrective action was taken by the Chief of Police. Four months for a simple case of a cop being charged by another cop of a crime. I guess they tried to blame the Deputy for charging the cop with DUI. I have to wonder what did the DUI officer gain by waiting until after January 1 to resign. No answer from the city or chief.
    seditionist1949 Nov 29, 2010 1:44 AM
    My rule is...I DRIVE 5 under the posted speed. Have not had any kind of traffic ticket for just over 45 years. I am 61 years old now. :o)
    taylor20771 Nov 28, 2010 10:34 PM
    here in IN,& OH, they dont have to pull you over. they have camar's,that will clock ur speed & take a pic of ur plates,, & then send you the ticket for what ever they wish to ! what BS is this, it might not of been u driving. what if u had it detailed, worked on, & they took it out for a test drive. how can u explain that to the court ,,'YEAH SURE YA DID''. i had a cop u turn on me,& follow for 4,5 miles then turn off,1 month later get a letter in mail sayin my car was driven by ''john doe''. need less to say they went and arrested J.D at his work, for driving my car,& charge for driving on suspened.also hab' offender,,locked up no bond,poor guy never had a clue what they we're talking about,i never seen that guy before in my life, the COP said the reason for not pulling over was high tarffic area,all over cause i look like JD,so now on hear say they can do all that to ya, not sure what happened to the guy but i pray it all worked out & they atleast aplogized to say the least,,sRY JOHN DOE...
    dalemcdanell Oct 15, 2010 12:42 AM
    i have ********* and ********. most cops are ********. fine one thats doing b20 mmph over the speed limit with no emergency lights on, and speed up and follow him. bad advise the ******* will pull you over for the revenue. bull sh--.
    dalemcdanell Oct 14, 2010 11:59 PM
    like i said previasly its all a money game. how would they the cops like it if we pulled them over and took 200.00 to 2000.00 out of there pockets for ticket, not counting the increase in insurance. i sure as hell which i could. thx DALE
    dalemcdanell Oct 14, 2010 11:53 PM
    its all a money game. i have been stoped by nice officers and some **********. if your going over the speed limit by 10 mph and not driving reckley, then what the hell? i dont mean you should run 90 are 100 mph, but what is 10 mph over the speed limit. i have not had a ticket since 1998, and i am65 years young. i got the ticket in OHIO for going 3 mph over the limit on interstate. all money game. thx DALE
    vevek Sep 26, 2010 7:36 PM
    I'm trying to see if I received a ticket. It was a weird stop to begin with and I couldn't even identify the type of officer that it was, not one description on him the car etc, and it was along the Mass Pike. I gave my driver's liscense but couldm't find my registration to my vehicle (out of state). I indicated to him that I was trying to get to Logan to catch a flight as my daughter had been in an accident overnight (no joke). After 5 minutes he handed me my liscense and let me go said he was mailing my ticket, but don't know where he would mail it because of military affiliation, my residence is one thing and I reside somewhere else. I asked him where I would receive it he said where DMV had the record. So, with this, is he going with the vehcile, in which case runnign th eplate would give my address or my physical lisence . Or did he simply not issue a written ticket or warning. Can MA State troopers "Put" the ticket in the mail?
    imporal Sep 13, 2010 2:58 PM
    How about a simple solution for your safety and that of anyone else on the road? DON'T SPEED! It is amazing and discredits you to devote an article to ways to avoid the consequences of disobeying the law. Will you proceed from here to how to steal with impunity? Murder?
    sarapul2010 Aug 09, 2010 4:18 AM
    since ******* $4, i resolve to use as little as possible. 38mpg had served me for 12 years. now, at 55 mph, i am allowed 40+ mpg on my daily 80 mile commute. the slow lane is fine with me. sometimes a dufus WILL come up and sit behind me for a few miles, tailgating, then pass around.they never seem malicious, just stuck behind me not realising ANYONE would drive 55 VOLUNTARILY! avoid breaking the law, drive courteously, speak courteously if stopped, and avoid tickets!!!
    malloo13 Aug 03, 2010 11:00 PM
    I have had my name misspelled on the speeding ticket and tried to have it thrown out in traffic court, and the judge said no way. My arguement was that if the officer could not correctly record my name after being given my license, registration and insurance card, how could he properly read radar accurately. The officer had "assumed" my name was spelled in a common way, but it is spelled in an unusual way. The judge didn't go for this, and I still had to pay the fine plus the court costs. So, whoever said that a judge throws out tickets with misspelled names is incorrect.
    jimsullivanret Aug 03, 2010 6:07 PM
    I can't believe that anyone are giving advice on how to avoid a speeding ticket. The only good advice is NOT TO SPEED in the first place. I has been proven that speeding will only save you a few minutes (3 to 5) in the first place in local commuting. The tear and wear in the vehicle and yourself is not worth it. The biggest problem with speeding is it shortens your reaction time in case of a problem, that to me is enough no to speed. But continue to speed as your local government, your insurance your mechanic, your tire manufacturer need your money not mine!
    dominantprince Aug 03, 2010 1:03 PM
    WARNING -- even the BEST radar-detector will NOT detect LASER-type police radar, regardless of ************ on the box; not until it's to late, anyway. So don't think that you're invincible from police radar, just because you can detect the various bands; a laser can be pointed at your front bumper, and you'll never know it-- I found this out the hard way, since I had the best radar-detector available, and got picked up by laser; it never made a SOUND. Also, NEVER have a radar-detector in Canada, unless it's well-hidden so nobody can see it; they will CONFISCATE it permanently, in ADDITION to giving you a hefty fine for it; so you can lose $500 in ticket-costs and the cost of the detector.
    ellentea Aug 03, 2010 11:21 AM
    Frequently some refer to the far left lane of interstates as "The fast lane" in connection to lanes policemen watch the most. That may be accurate in some states, but if you call Indiana State Police and ask for legal department, you wil be told, "Indiana has no law!" So in Indiana auto drivers are allowed to drive in any lane without speed restrictions other than the posted limit for the highway. The only exception applies to trucks, who are not allowed to travel in the far left lane, although some do. Of course, COURTESY should dictate that we drive so as not to impede traffic or cause pain to others. ellentea@aol.com
    ssbresins Aug 03, 2010 11:05 AM
    IF YOU HAND OVER YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE TO ANY OFFICER AND THEY MISS SPELL ANY PORTION OF YOUR NAME, ADDRESS, AND PERSONAL INFORMATION. THIS IS GROUNDS FOR DISMISSAL OF TICKET EVEN IF YOU KNOW YOU VIOLATED THE TRAFFIC LAW, ALSO IF THEY WRITE DOWN THE WRONG VEHICLE CODE FOR THE VIOLATION. PLEASE DO NOT EXPLAIN YOUR-SELF TO THE OFFFICER ABOUT WHY YOU VIOLATED THE TRAFFIC LAW, BECAUSE THEY MAY BE RECORDING THE INCIDENT." BRING UP THE MISS INFORMATION WRITEN DOWN IN COURT AND THE JUDGE BY LAW HAVE TO DISMISS THE CASE!
    hdanielklee Jul 19, 2010 7:10 PM
    It sounds like the "goody two shoers" out there have a gripe on AOL giving advice on how to avoid a speeding ticket. Get life!! The autobahn has a spectacular safety record compared to our freeways. Oh yeah, stay out of the damn fastlane if you going under the speedlimit!!!!!
    sw8tcaramel32 Jul 19, 2010 6:45 PM
    Seriously people! There will always be people who speed regaurdless of what the law says you should be driving at. So why not give those people some advice on how to atleast speed a little more safely. Without this advice, there will be more people driving wrecklessly which means this advice could potentially help avoid accidents. I'm not saying I condone speeding, but I also don't agree with some of the people who said you should just drive the speed limit. If the flow of traffic is going 70 and you are only driving at 65, chances are you are more likely to cause an accident or be the target of the accident because the cars going faster will change lanes to try to go around you. My point being is "Just drive more safely, and at the same speed as the flow of the traffic." Also for those people who were talking about discrimination due to profession. There will always be discrimination you judge a person on appearance, character, intellect, status. I do agree that more often than not Police officers do get out of speeding tickets. But you also have to consider the fact that they put their lives at risk for the safety of others each day. Guess you can say they should atleast get the benefit of some leniency. . . Giving speeding tickets is part of a police officers job, if you get a ticket but you weren't the one speeding, then go to court and fight the ticket instead of becoming bitter about it. . . . . .AOL gave great advice to those who speed. . . and To those who do, Please atleast do it cautiously and use your signals, they are there for a reason!!
    vwrogers Jul 19, 2010 5:42 PM
    I agree with the "This is very bad advice group". Speeding is the number one cause of accidents. Radar detectors should be outlawed. Who are the people in power that are getting paid by the manufactures to keep them legal in some states? I use my cruise control, set a legal speed and never have to worry about the Police. Cruise control allows for better driving because you are in control instead of a sleepy foot on the accelerator. Your constant speed is better for other drivers, they don't have to constantly pass and repass you as your speed vacilates from 10 or 15 under to 5 to 20 over the limit. Be responsible behind the wheel.